May 23  -  May 30, 2004


Louise, Denise and I (Doreen) joined a week's tour called Walking in Turkey led by Skip Treisman.   It was a 6-day hike along sections of the ancient Lycian Trail  that winds its way up and down mountains, usually clinging to the precipitous and stunning coastline.
  We stayed at basic pansiyons (B&B's), bought bread and cheese for lunch on the way and ate together every night. Here is our small group at Ovacik as we prepare to set out on the trail.
l to r: Talya, Leah, Dani, Nili, Doreen, Louise, Skip, Denise


We were glad that we weren't lonely petunias faced with eating our lamb chops by ourselves.


Skip takes a moment to relate map to scenery around us.

The first day was mostly uphill. The sparkling springs along the way helped quench our thirst as well as cool us down. Denise takes a moment to admire the stunning view.

Unfortunately Louise fell when we tried to warn her that a herd of goats was making its way down the trail. Here Ozkan, the Turkish guide, and Skip strap Louise's foot to enable her to make her painful way down the mountain. When we got home we found out that Louise had broken a bone in her ankle.

We enjoyed a well-earned rest at the end of the first day at Faralya. After a strong cup of chai we walked to the edge of the cliffs to watch the sunset.

With Louise safely in the minibus, we left to test ourselves on the second and hardest day.

An early lunch at Kabak included ayran (a salty sourmilk) & gozleme (a herb-filled pancake)

Stretching exercises help loosen the muscles and prevent stiffness.

Then we had a steep descent down to the beach where we swam and rested. In the afternoon we had a long hard slog from the beach up the hill to Alinca that took 3 1/2 hours.

On the third day Louise joined us as we made our way from Patara to Kalkan. It was hard but Louise made it with a little help from the guides.

By this time the services of blister doctor Ozkan were in demand and a rest stop turned into a clinic. Here Denise and Leah gratefully get the special plasters.

At the end of the day we visited the fascinating aqueduct at Delikkemer. Built by the Romans, it is an engineering marvel. Unlike other aqueducts that are built at a gradual gradient to allow the flow of water by gravity, here interlocking square stone blocks form a siphon that could transport water uphill.

It was pretty windy up there but Nili and Leah still find time for a smile as they steady themselves against the stones. The wind didn't seem to bother Denise

At Kalkan, a most picturesque village, we enjoyed chilling out. The following morning swimming and resting by the sea was a real luxury.

The fifth day was hot.The women line up seeking shelter in the shade as we wait for the bus to take us to the starting point for the day.


We felt as if we were on a forced marched as we briskly walked to the edge of the mountain. After a light lunch of fruit and nuts we made our way down the steep and rocky path to Kas. As we tramped into town we all felt most strange, like something out of a science fiction story. Hot and sweaty, we marched into the quiet town that looked sparkling white and deserted in the heat of the afternoon.

Louise, still limping, bravely joined us on our outing to Kekova. On the way we passed a wishing olive tree.

We loved the crystal-clear waters at Liman Agazi where we ate lunch at tables with tablecloths. What luxury!

In the afternoon we all enjoyed a lazy boat ride to the sunken city at Kekova. As we climbed to the castle of Simena we all wondered at how tired our legs felt. Virtually all that remains of the Lycian culture are their impressive tombs.

On our last day in Kas we went to the market to do some shopping.

We then made our way uphill then along goat paths to the ruins of Cyanea. Walking along endless scree made our knees and ankles sore. The minibus at the bottom of the hill at the end of the day was a welcome sight.

Back in Kas we had time for some last minute shopping.  What better buy can there be than kilim carpets with the help of Mustafa, a trusted friend?

All that was left was a farewell dinner, a few blisters, new friends and great memories.

Go to home page